The purpose of the Outstanding Undergraduate Science Teacher Award (OUSTA) is to recognize the achievements of our teaching colleagues that have enhanced the profession as outstanding teachers of science. This annual award is based upon a selection process that evaluates nominees according to the following ranked categories: 1) teaching excellence; 2) scholarship; and 3) service.
Nominees need not be a member of SCST, but should have been actively involved in teaching undergraduate science for the previous five (5) years. Nominations may be made by colleagues or students; self-nominations are also encouraged.
The criteria for each category shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Teaching excellence as evidence through teaching philosophy and effectiveness, teaching innovations, and course and curricula development.
- Scholarship as evidenced through publications in science education, presentations, grants received, and other forms of scholarship including discipline-based research.
- Service to science education, students, the profession, scientific and educational organizations, the nominee’s institution, local teachers and their school systems, and the general public with the overall goal of enhancing understanding of scientific issues.
The application deadline is June 30th of each year.
The winner of the OUSTA will receive:
From The Society of College Science Teachers (SCST)
- $1500 check
- Customized plaque
- Complimentary one year membership in both NSTA and SCST
- Up to $500 for travel to NSTA / SCST Conference
- Complimentary registration to the SCST College Luncheon
From The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Complimentary registration for NSTA / SCST Conference
- Two nights lodging at NSTA / SCST Conference
- One meal-ticket to the NSTA awards banquet
The winner of the OUSTA will be responsible for:
- Serving as Featured Speaker at the SCST College Luncheon.
- Attending various sessions and/or the SCST Social.
Send Application Materials To:
Heather Scherr, OUSTA Chair
OUSTA Nomination Packet 2016
Thank you to Springer, our co-sponsor for the OUSTA Award (www.springer.com)